Nutrition information per serving
Serving Size: 2 Pear halves
Calories: 90, Saturated Fat: 0g, Protein: <2g
Cholesterol: 0mg, Carbs 30g, Fiber 6g, Total Fat: <1g
Food Exchanges: 2 ½ Fruit.
Poached Pears with Red Wine Sauce (Diabetic) Recipe
By March 12, 2013Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
This dessert is a standout and it is very simple to prepare. The sauce, made with red wine and apple juice, adds to the flavor and to the presentation. Not to mention red wine is fine anytime
- 2 Cups Dry Red Wine
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Apple Juice
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 Tablespoons Nutmeg
- 8 Pears peeled, cored, cut into halves
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- ½ Cup Ice Cold Water
- ¼ Cup Sweetener or sugar substitute
- Mint Sprigs optional
- Heat wine, apple juice, cinnamon sticks & nutmeg to simmering in large stockpot; add pears.
- Simmered, covered, until pears are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove pears and cinnamon sticks from pot.
- Continue to heat wine mixture to boiling point.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water together in small bowl until smooth; stir into red wine sauce until thickened.
- Remove from heat; let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweetener; drizzle sauce around pears.
- Garnish with fresh mint sprigs.